Kolumba
Kolumbastraße 4
D-50667 Köln
tel +49 (0)221 9331930
fax +49 (0)221 93319333

     
Alexander Schnütgen
1843 – 1918
Chairman of the museums board

Alexander Schnütgen was born in Steele on 22 February 1843. From 1860 to 1864 he studied theology and art history at the Academy in Münster, the universities of Tübingen and Louvain and at the Seminary for Priests of the Bishopric in Mainz. Schnütgen was ordained as priest on 7 April 1866. and was being named cathedral vicar and parish curate at the Cologne Cathedral one week later. In 1867 he began collecting art intensively. In 1875 he was elected to the board of the “Christian Society for the Promotion of the Fine Arts in the Archbishopric of Cologne”. On 13 June 1887 he became curate of the Cologne Cathedral. From 1888 to 1913 he edited the “Magazine for Christian Art”. In 1889 he received a call to the Art Commission of the Archbishopric. From 1891 to 1896 and from 1900 to 1906 he was president of the “Christian Society for the Promotion of the Fine Arts in the Archbishopric of Cologne” as well as chairman of the board of the museum. In 1896 he entered the “Advisory Commission for Church Art in the Archdiocese of Cologne”. In 1899 he became chairman of the Düsseldorf “Art History Exhibition” to be shown in 1902. In 1903 Schnütgen became honorary professor of the Catholic-Theological Faculty in Bonn. In 1905 he was the chairman of the preparation committee for the “Handicraft Exhibition” in Cologne. In 1906 he donated his collection to the City of Cologne. In 1910 the Schnütgen-Museum was opened. Alexander Schnütgen died in Listernohl.

_

Art museum of the
Archdiocese of Cologne

Current events
Architecture
Exhibitions
Awards
Videos
Information
Chapel
Reviews
Museums-History
Publications
Essays
Events
Education

1990 – 2008
1972 – 1989
1954 – 1971
1940 – 1953
1923 – 1939
1906 – 1922
1852 – 1905
Joachim M. Plotzek
Walter Schulten
Joseph Hoster
Jakob Eschweiler
Wilhelm Neuß
Arnold Steffens
Hermann J. Schmitz
Alexander Schnütgen
Franz Bock
Johann Baudri
Friedrich Baudri
 

 
www.kolumba.de

KOLUMBA :: Museums-History :: Alexander Schnütgen

Alexander Schnütgen
1843 – 1918
Chairman of the museums board

Alexander Schnütgen was born in Steele on 22 February 1843. From 1860 to 1864 he studied theology and art history at the Academy in Münster, the universities of Tübingen and Louvain and at the Seminary for Priests of the Bishopric in Mainz. Schnütgen was ordained as priest on 7 April 1866. and was being named cathedral vicar and parish curate at the Cologne Cathedral one week later. In 1867 he began collecting art intensively. In 1875 he was elected to the board of the “Christian Society for the Promotion of the Fine Arts in the Archbishopric of Cologne”. On 13 June 1887 he became curate of the Cologne Cathedral. From 1888 to 1913 he edited the “Magazine for Christian Art”. In 1889 he received a call to the Art Commission of the Archbishopric. From 1891 to 1896 and from 1900 to 1906 he was president of the “Christian Society for the Promotion of the Fine Arts in the Archbishopric of Cologne” as well as chairman of the board of the museum. In 1896 he entered the “Advisory Commission for Church Art in the Archdiocese of Cologne”. In 1899 he became chairman of the Düsseldorf “Art History Exhibition” to be shown in 1902. In 1903 Schnütgen became honorary professor of the Catholic-Theological Faculty in Bonn. In 1905 he was the chairman of the preparation committee for the “Handicraft Exhibition” in Cologne. In 1906 he donated his collection to the City of Cologne. In 1910 the Schnütgen-Museum was opened. Alexander Schnütgen died in Listernohl.