Kolumba
Kolumbastraße 4
D-50667 Köln
tel +49 (0)221 9331930
fax +49 (0)221 93319333

     
Jakob Hubert Eschweiler
1894 – 1965
Director of the Museum 1926 – 1938

Jakob Hubert Eschweiler was born in Euskirchen on 12 June 1894, the youngest of four sons. From 1914 to 1917 he studied theology and art history in Bonn (with Wilhelm Neuss, Wilhelm Worringer and Paul Clemen). He was ordained as priest on 10 August 1918. From 1918 to 1922, he was curate in Windberg near Mönchengladbach. In 1922 he became House Celebrant in Carmel in the Cologne Lindenthal section of the city. Eschweiler did an internship at the Schnütgen Museum under Director Fritz Witte. In 1924 he was called to join the board of the “Society for Christian Art in the Archbishopric of Cologne”. He was the author and publisher of its first catalogue of the collection. On 7 September 1926 he was named first director (honorary) of the Diözesanmuseum as well as director and teacher at he “Institute for Religious Art”. On 30 September 1933, after the Institute was dissolved, Eschweiler lost his income. In 1936 he published his second catalogue of the collection. In 1938 he left his position as director and retired to private life. In the autumn of 1939 he entered the Arch Abbey Beon where he occupied himself intensively with scientific research and consulting. In the summer of 1962 he moved to House Burgfey near Mechernich, which he had inherited after the death of his brother. In 1965, the dedication took place of Burgfey Chapel which Eschweiler had donated. He set up a foundation for artists (“regardless of race, religion or political conviction”) which was officially approved in 1974. Jakob Hubert Eschweiler died in Mechernich on 29 October1965.

_

Art museum of the
Archdiocese of Cologne

Current events
Architecture
Exhibitions
Awards
Videos
Information
Chapel
Reviews
Museums-History
Publications
Essays
Events
Education

1990 – 2008
1972 – 1989
1954 – 1971
1940 – 1953
1923 – 1939
1906 – 1922
1852 – 1905
Joachim M. Plotzek
Walter Schulten
Joseph Hoster
Jakob Eschweiler
Wilhelm Neuß
Arnold Steffens
Hermann J. Schmitz
Alexander Schnütgen
Franz Bock
Johann Baudri
Friedrich Baudri
 

 
www.kolumba.de

KOLUMBA :: Museums-History :: Jakob Eschweiler

Jakob Hubert Eschweiler
1894 – 1965
Director of the Museum 1926 – 1938

Jakob Hubert Eschweiler was born in Euskirchen on 12 June 1894, the youngest of four sons. From 1914 to 1917 he studied theology and art history in Bonn (with Wilhelm Neuss, Wilhelm Worringer and Paul Clemen). He was ordained as priest on 10 August 1918. From 1918 to 1922, he was curate in Windberg near Mönchengladbach. In 1922 he became House Celebrant in Carmel in the Cologne Lindenthal section of the city. Eschweiler did an internship at the Schnütgen Museum under Director Fritz Witte. In 1924 he was called to join the board of the “Society for Christian Art in the Archbishopric of Cologne”. He was the author and publisher of its first catalogue of the collection. On 7 September 1926 he was named first director (honorary) of the Diözesanmuseum as well as director and teacher at he “Institute for Religious Art”. On 30 September 1933, after the Institute was dissolved, Eschweiler lost his income. In 1936 he published his second catalogue of the collection. In 1938 he left his position as director and retired to private life. In the autumn of 1939 he entered the Arch Abbey Beon where he occupied himself intensively with scientific research and consulting. In the summer of 1962 he moved to House Burgfey near Mechernich, which he had inherited after the death of his brother. In 1965, the dedication took place of Burgfey Chapel which Eschweiler had donated. He set up a foundation for artists (“regardless of race, religion or political conviction”) which was officially approved in 1974. Jakob Hubert Eschweiler died in Mechernich on 29 October1965.