Kolumba
Kolumbastraße 4
D-50667 Köln
tel +49 (0)221 9331930
fax +49 (0)221 93319333

     
March to June 1997
Richard Serra »The Drowned and the Saved«
Former sacristy of St. Kolumba’s Church

On 24 February 1997, a day when the clouds brightened, a new chapter was begun in the two-thousand-year-old history of the grounds of the former church St. Kolumba. Even before the first sketches for the new building of the museum to be built upon this site were submitted for the ongoing architectural competition, the symbolic foundation stone of the future purpose of the site was laid by the American sculptor Richard Serra with the installation of his steel sculpture “The Drowned and the Saved”. In the former sacristy of the church which had been destroyed except for the outside walls between 1943 and 1945, the work, which was conceived originally for an exhibition in the synagogue in Stommeln, found its ultimate home in St. Kolumba. The room is located above a crypt filled with remains of the dead who had been buried on the premises since the Middle Ages and who were then exhumed during excavation works in the mid-1970s. The sculpture above refers to all that has been lost in the layers lying below: to those absent, those who have died before us; and in the sculptural balance of carrying, burdening and leaning upon one another, it points out that but for the dead, there would be no living. At the same time it is a reference to the fact, that the museum understands itself as a place of remembering and becoming aware of the past as a historical foundation for the future. “This is a wonderful place” Serra said on this day “small and personal. It can remain open on top, surrounded by the ruins of the former brick walls and Gothic window frames. Thus the sculpture becomes part of the tradition of this town.” The grounds of the museum site will be a focus for the museum during this time, made visible to us in photographs by Ulrich Tillmann who created an extensive artistic documentary in 1994. Also, we will present the outcome of the competition for the new museum building, which consists of 168 entries.

(Publication)


_

Art museum of the
Archdiocese of Cologne

Current events
Architecture
Exhibitions
Awards
Videos
Information
Chapel
Reviews
Museums-History
Publications
Essays
Events
Education

2017 Pas de deux

2017 Marek Poliks
2017 Eric Hattan
2017 Office for...
2017 Barthel Bruyn
2016 Street Art Project
2016 Kurt Benning
2016 On the Individual

2016 Bethan Huws
2015 Shopmovies
2015 Anna & Bernhard Blume
2015 The Read Thread

2015 Museum for Drawing
2015 Birgit Antoni: Cinema
2014 Vertigo of Reality
2014 playing by heart

2014 Achim Lengerer
2014 Bruno Jakob
2013 show cover hide

2013 Eucharist
2013 Norbert Schwontkowski
2013 Pascal Schwaighofer
2012 Art is Liturgy – Paul Thek

2012 Leiko Ikemura
2012 Volker Saul
2012 Jaromir Novotny
2011 Birgit Antoni
2011 thinking

2011 Philipp Wewerka
2010 Mischa Kuball
2010 Noli me tangere!

2010 Heinrich Küpper
2010 Robert Haiss
2010 Renate Köhler
2010 Georg Baumgarten
2009 Stefan Wewerka
09/09 Bequest

2009 Koho Mori-Newton
2009 Hermann Abrell
2008 Heiner Binding
2008 Man Leaving Earth

2007 Infinite Space Expands

2006 In the Garden of Reality II
2006 Werner Schriefers
2006 In the Garden of Reality I
2005 The Egner Donation
2005 Leiko Ikemura
2005 Arma Christi
2005 Hans Josephsohn
2005 Coptic Textiles
2005 Birgit Antoni
2004 Monika Bartholomé
2004 Max Cole
2003 Reliquary Crosses
2004 Heinrich Küpper
2003 Martin Frommelt
2003 150 Years!
2002 Attila Kovács
2002 Herbert Falken
2002 Peter Tollens
2001 ars vivendi
2001 Peter Zumthor
2000 Volume
2000 walkmen
2000 The Härle Donation
2000 Children's drawings
2000 About Reality
1999 Andor Weininger
1999 Joseph Marioni
1999 Andy Warhol
1998 Kunsthalle Baden-Baden
1998 Faith and Knowledge
1998 Stephan Baumkötter
1998 Bernd Ikemann
1998 Kabakov Pane a.o.
1998 Hildegard Domizlaff
1997 Cage Tsangaris a.o.
1997 Richard Serra
1997 Manos Tsangaris
1997 Kunst-Station
1997 Klaus vom Bruch
1997 About the Site: Kolumba
1996 About Ambivalence
1996 Chris Newman
1996 Peter Tollens
1996 Wolfgang Laib
1996 About Colour
1995 Early Christian Art
1995 Mischa Kuball
1995 Palace of Art
1995 Horn Falken Michals, a.o.
1995 Monika Bartholomé
1993 Tápies Thek Tuttle u.a.
1992 Vaticana
 

 
www.kolumba.de

KOLUMBA :: Exhibitions :: 1997 Richard Serra

March to June 1997
Richard Serra »The Drowned and the Saved«
Former sacristy of St. Kolumba’s Church

On 24 February 1997, a day when the clouds brightened, a new chapter was begun in the two-thousand-year-old history of the grounds of the former church St. Kolumba. Even before the first sketches for the new building of the museum to be built upon this site were submitted for the ongoing architectural competition, the symbolic foundation stone of the future purpose of the site was laid by the American sculptor Richard Serra with the installation of his steel sculpture “The Drowned and the Saved”. In the former sacristy of the church which had been destroyed except for the outside walls between 1943 and 1945, the work, which was conceived originally for an exhibition in the synagogue in Stommeln, found its ultimate home in St. Kolumba. The room is located above a crypt filled with remains of the dead who had been buried on the premises since the Middle Ages and who were then exhumed during excavation works in the mid-1970s. The sculpture above refers to all that has been lost in the layers lying below: to those absent, those who have died before us; and in the sculptural balance of carrying, burdening and leaning upon one another, it points out that but for the dead, there would be no living. At the same time it is a reference to the fact, that the museum understands itself as a place of remembering and becoming aware of the past as a historical foundation for the future. “This is a wonderful place” Serra said on this day “small and personal. It can remain open on top, surrounded by the ruins of the former brick walls and Gothic window frames. Thus the sculpture becomes part of the tradition of this town.” The grounds of the museum site will be a focus for the museum during this time, made visible to us in photographs by Ulrich Tillmann who created an extensive artistic documentary in 1994. Also, we will present the outcome of the competition for the new museum building, which consists of 168 entries.

(Publication)