tel +49 (0)221 9331930
fax +49 (0)221 93319333
1972 – 1990
The museum in the Curia building (Roncalliplatz)
Walter Schulten, Rolf Lauer and Joachim M. Plotzek
With the reopening in the rooms of the Curia building Roncalliplatz 2 on 7 August 1972, the museum had returned to its historic site south of the cathedral. Bernharrd Matthäi becomes 1973 the first restorer of the collection. Soon after the opening it became clear that there was too little space for showing any larger exhibitions. For financial reasons, requests and plans for an extension to be built on a nearby parking lot could not be carried out. In 1975 the museum showed an exhibition of rosaries, the show having been put together by Hatto Küffner and Bernhard Matthäi. Thanks to new acquisitions, there was now an extensive collection of rosaries which formed a new major emphasis in the museum inventory. For the first time since 1936, a catalogue of the collection was published under the title “Treasures in Cologne” by Walter Schulten, who had become director of the museum in 1969. Numerous exhibits from Cologne Cathedral that had been loaned by the chapter now enriched the permanent collection. Amongst these were also the finds of the two Frankish graves in the excavation area of the Cologne Cathedral. For the cathedral’s jubilee in 1980 the museum put on an exhibition with religious printed graphics. In 1986, an exhibition was dedicated to the former director of the class specialising in ecclesiastical paraments at the Kölner Werkschulen (1912-1923) Ferdinand Nigg: “Ferdinand Nigg – Ecclesiastical Textiles”. It took place at the same time as the Nigg retrospective at the Kölner Stadtmuseum. In 1989, Walter Schulten retired from his position, and Rolf Lauer, director of the Cologne Cathedral Archives, was appointed temporarily to run the museum. In the same year the museum’s board dissolved and the museum, as stipulated in its statutes, was taken over by the Archbishopric. All loans of artworks belonging to the chapter were returned to the cathedral. In 1990, Joachim M. Plotzek, who had been curator at the Schnütgen Museum for many years, became director of the museum.
Art museum of the